Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Chapter 4 part one

Chapter 4

I’m not sure if stunned is the right word to describe how I felt. In some realm of normality in which most people lived, what my mother, Willow, and Lenore claimed was fucking crazy. I almost felt like asking what they were smoking. So much so that my mouth actually opened and closed, yet just couldn’t form the words.
Although I felt so strongly that they were crazy, I knew they were right. Even so, what was i supposed to say?
“What do you mean exactly?” ValVal asked. I let go of a sigh. I knew I could always count on Val to keep herself a step ahead of me.
Willow took a deep breath. “First we show you..”
I actually wanted her to just give us the cold hard facts. The idea of stronger powers scared me. The abilities we already possessed were abnormal at best. They were always the underlying thing that separated other children from us.
When I finally snapped back to reality. Willow had relocated to the other end of the roof. She stood tall under the weight of her dress. Her eyes stayed closed. She looked almost scared. I got a nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach. I was certain she was trying to gain confidence... or maybe find courage somewhere deep inside.
Air filled her lungs and she let out a sigh thick with emotions. Her eyes closed as she pulled her right arm back. Than she did something I never would have expected. Her red lips pulled into a smile.
“Lenore dearest, are you ready?” She asked. Her voice was teasing, it was flirty. She was excited. Lenore gave her a tired smile. It looked painful when her skin pulled itself over the sharp bones in her face.
“Lets see if we still got it Willow.” Lenore called out with the most liveliness she’d shown in almost 10 years.
Lenore shifted the weight(all 96 pounds) of her body to her right foot as she stepped back on it. To our surprise she took off like a white bullet. Willow seemed to brace herself as Lenore came at her. Lenore threw her arms out and we saw it.
Lenores wings. Her breath takingly beautiful silver white wings. They weren’t larger than life with a ten foot wing span or anything but they looked strong. The wings looked like the strongest part about her.
The wind blew her white feathers everywhere. I jumped up and caught a stray feather floating above me, tempting me. The feather was soft to the touch and smelled like strawberries.
I shifted my attention back to Lenore in time to see her leap and catch flight. The run away feathers gathered around her and began to form something. It looked like a staff. The feathers reached an agreement and hardened in the staff formation. She pulled the staff back like a baseball player preparing to hit a home run. Or in this case, Willow.
Willow shifted her hips to swing the skirt of her dress. As the dress swung back into its place the texture changed. The top layer of lace began to thicken. It was becoming three dimensional and rising. It kept changing until in the blink of an eye the intricate layers of lace had risen to form long willow tree branches.
Willow ran her arm above the side of her skirt. A group of branches followed her long slender fingers into the open air next to her. She paused her hand mid air with the branches. The her fingers moved randomly and the branches scattered. They rejoined in the form of a staff similar to Lenore’s.
Both paused for a brief moment. All I could hear was my own heart frantically searching for a way out of my chest. When the moment of hesitation was over Willow took her staff and swung as hard as her thin arms allowed.

Now let me tell you, what she and Lenore did could put major league baseball players to shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment